TOPIC: Good, Bad & Ugly
Erin Anker, Billy Petty, Michele Heyman
A panel of experienced CFEs will discuss fraud examinations they have conducted, some of which were good, others that were bad, and still others that turned out to be down-right ugly. Even the most well-planned examination can have unexpected challenges and others may go more smoothly than anticipated. The panelists will discuss factors that should contribute to success and what they think were the causes of the bad and ugly examinations and how they responded.ABOUT THE PANELISTS:
- Erin Anker, CFE, CPA, CVA is a shareholder of Phillips Anker, PC in Austin and has been with the firm since 2001. She is experienced in small business accounting and consulting as well as forensic accounting and business valuation work.
- Billy Petty, CFE is the CFO of a manufacturing company headquartered in Austin. For 23 years, he was a detective with the Austin Police Department and his work there included background investigations, fugitive apprehension, and white-collar crime investigations. Billy is also an adjunct instructor for the National White Collar Crime Center with an emphasis on investment fraud and financial investigation skills.
- Michele Heyman, CFE, CFF, CPA, CVA established Heyman & Associates, a local accounting practice that specializes in tax planning and preparation, business advisory services, and fraud examination. She has more than 20 years of experience in public accounting, having worked with a variety of small to regional-sized public accounting firms.
Attendees will be able to identify essential elements for planning a successful fraud examination and also be able to describe the causes of unexpected challenges and how to resolve those.Agenda:
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Registration and Lunch
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. - Presentation
Program Level: Basic
Advanced Preparation: None required
Maggiano’s Little Italy Restaurant
10910 Domain Dr #100, Austin, TX 78759
From MoPac and Braker Lane, turn East on Braker Lane, drive 0.4 miles to Domain Drive on the left. In 0.1 miles, turn left onto Feathergrass Court, and park in the D2 South Parking Garage (free parking) on the right. Walk East about 400 feet to Maggiano's restaurant.
- Online registration up to 5 days prior to event
- Members $20
- Non-Members $30
- Walk-in registration (if space is available)
- Members $40
- Non-Members $60
The Austin Area Chapter of The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners is a non-profit organization formed in the State of Texas and registered as a 501 (C) (6) Organization with the IRS.
The Austin Area Chapter of The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org
Cancellation Policy and No Shows
If you have registered and/or paid for an event and you need to cancel, you MUST email email@example.com no later than 5 days prior to the event, unless otherwise indicated in specific event policies, to request a refund and/or cancel your registration. The Chapter must confirm event registrations with the venue within 5 days of the event and any changes after this time period can become a financial cost to the Chapter. Cancellations received less than 5 days prior to events will not be refunded except for exigent circumstances.
In the event an attendee does not show up to the event, the registration cost will be forfeited. If payment at the door was the selected method, then the attendee will be billed for the full cost of the event. The Chapter reserves the right to bar for future registration any attendees who routinely register and fail to pay and/or attend the event.